Mosaic: a word that embodies charm and creative genius. Well seen from the name, from that Latin derivation musaĭcum opus which means “work dedicated to the Muses”.
Playful - and quite legitimate - to associate the term with the entire city of Ravenna and its province, an authentic organic set of sublime artistic pieces that provides within itself some of the most original Byzantine mosaic expressions.
The territory of Ravenna boasts as many as 8 monuments included in the UNESCO World Heritage List:
- the Basilica of San Vitale of the 6th century, the main place of worship in the city, a mighty structure that preserves mosaics in which stand out the colours of green and gold
- the Mausoleum of Galla Placidia, of the 5th century, architectural poetry with a Greek cross plan with a central dome
- the Archiepiscopal Chapel, an authentic jewel of the beginning of the 6th century, with a marble vestibule crowned by a mosaic depicting the four archangels
- the Basilica of Sant’Apollinare Nuovo, built by Ostrogothic King Teodoric in the 6th century, for the use of his court
- the Mausoleum of Theodoric, an architectural mystery in Istrian stone dating back to the early decades of the 6th century, consisting of a series of pillars surmounted by a monolith of 3 metres in height and 10.76 metres in diameter!
- the Baptistery of Neon, of the beginning of the 5th century, an artistic treasure with an octagonal structure that the decay of the land ended with the burial for 2 metres below ground level
- the Aryan Baptistery of the 6th century, another building 2.25 metres underground due to subsidence, and with a breath taking ceiling mosaic
- the Basilica of Sant’Apollinare in Classe, of the mid-6th century, 5 km from Ravenna and with three immense aisles with amazing trussed roofs
In addition to these eight outstanding masterpieces, there are the Tomb of Dante, the historic San Vitale Pineta in Classe, the medieval village of Brisighella, the town of Riolo Terme and the mighty Rocca Estense of Lugo, and the latter three are included in the most beautiful of hilly terrain.