The province of Macerata extends for 2,774 km², embracing very diverse types of environment, from the waters of the Upper Adriatic to the beautiful sandy coast intertwining with the Mediterranean vegetation of the coastal area, from the central flat area to a progressive orographic elevation which passes through an important hilly area and culminates in the western Apennines.
On a historical level, this territory reveals a very ancient urban-social fortune: after reaching its first flowering with the Piceni people, it was subsequently revolutionized in terms of infrastructure by the Romans, then coming the raids of the Goths that pushed the medieval residents to settle on the safer hilly headlands.
Hence, the birth of two authentic pearls, Recanati and the capital Macerata. The first one, known as the “balcony city” because of its conformation on several levels, over the centuries it has become an active artistic centre by collecting works of important painters such as Lorenzo Lotto, and becoming the cradle of prominent figures of Giacomo Leopardi and Beniamino Gigli, the latter has been structured over time into a first-level political-cultural centre, not only in reference to Central Italy.
Having obtained the episcopal dignity in 1320, it saw in the sixteenth century what could be considered its golden age: a leap forward on economic level was interwoven with a far-sighted ruling class, so much to witness an important architectural conversion, exemplary in the work on the walls and the central square, and on the foundation of the prestigious Accademia dei Catenati, led by the professor of poetics, rhetoric and moral philosophy Gerolamo Zoppio.